NAM’s Learning Center participants are looking for a chance at a better life. Education is one of the basic tools with which NAM clients can implement their plan for a better tomorrow.
Individuals who seek a different direction for their lives can take the first steps by improving their training or learning new skills.
NAM’s Learning Center provides:
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- General Educational Development (GED) test preparation
- Reading and writing literacy classes
- Job search seminars
- Financial literacy classes
- Legal seminars
- US Citizenship/Naturalization seminars
- Computer classes
Classes are open to all Houston residents and are offered free of charge or at reduced cost. NAM also collaborates with the Spring Independent School District on educational opportunities for families through Even Start.
In partnership with the United Way of Greater Houston, the Learning Center also offers THRIVE to help low-income individuals start a new career through educational scholarships for designated career fields.
By the numbers
In fiscal year 2014-15, the Learning Center provided:
- Education to 264 students through ESL and GED classes, for a total of nearly 40,000 hours.
- Career development services to 135 individuals, through the THRIVE grant.
- Vocational education scholarships to 54 adults so they could gain the skills for a new career.
For more information
All classes take place at NAM’s main building, 15555 Kuykendahl Rd, Houston, TX 77090, unless otherwise stated. The Learning Center is located on the 4th floor.
To register or for more information on any of the upcoming events please email or call the Learning Center Information Line at (281) 885-4616.
Why adult learners come to The Learning Center:
- To learn English
- To get a GED
- To prepare for citizenship
- To learn to read
- To learn computer skills
- To prepare for a better job
- To have a chance at a better life